High School Vocabulary Words of the Week #1
Each week, we bring you ten new words to study to increase your vocabulary. In order to truly “learn” these words, make sure to do the following exercises each week:
- Create a flashcard with the word and the definition for each word.
- Write three sentences that showcase the meaning of each word.
- Write at least two synonyms for each word.
- Write at least two antonyms for each word.
- Try to use the words in your daily conversations as much as possible.
- Study your flashcards for a few minutes each day.
- Set up an online quiz with your words and take it at the end of the week.
Here are this week’s words…
- (v.) to humiliate, degrade
- (v.) to stop short and refuse to proceed
- (adj.) increasing, building upon itself
- (v.) to decorate, adorn
- (v.) to add details to, enhance
- (adj.) very thin
- (adj.) wild, savage
- (adj.) well suited, apt
- (adj.) delightful, pleasing
- (adj.) characterized by rapid change for temperamentality
- (v.) to preoccupy the mind to the exclusion of other thoughts or feelings
- (adj.) having absolute authority in a certain realm